Course Enrollment Permission

In order to enroll in honors courses, continuing students must have a minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA. If a first-year student, you must have a combined SAT Math and Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 1450, or a 32 ACT Composite, an "A" average in a challenging high school curriculum, and a top 5% class rank (if applicable). Transfer applicants are reviewed on an individual basis.

If you are using Self Service Enrollment and you have a 3.25 cumulative GPA at Pitt, you do not need to obtain a permission number in order to enroll in an honors course.

If you have not yet established a GPA at Pitt, you will need to contact David Hornyak to obtain a permission number in order to enroll in an honors course (this includes first-year students meeting the SAT requirement, as well as first-year transfer students having a 3.25 GPA at their previous school).

During the summer PittStart (freshman advising) sessions, first-year students in the Swanson School of Engineering and College of Business Administration do not need to obtain permission numbers to enroll in honors courses; your assigned academic advisor will be able to enroll you in honors courses without a permission number when enroll in courses at PittStart (this applies only during your initial enrollment at PittStart). Students in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Nursing who are enrolling in courses for the first time will need to contact David Hornyak for a permission number by following the procedures outlined in your school's online enrollment orientation.

For any student not meeting the GPA requisite, you may be given permission to enroll in a UHC course by contacting David Hornyak to discuss your particular situation. Such decisions are made on a case-by-case basis, with flexibility afforded those students having strong interest and background in a specific discipline.

Please note that obtaining a permission number for an honors course does not guarantee you a seat in the class.

Permission numbers for 2017 Fall Term honors courses (term designation 2181) will be issued starting on Monday, March 13, 2017.

If you need a permission number to enroll in an honors course, please email David Hornyak ( with your PeopleSoft ID number and the course(s) for which you would like to receive permission.

All students, including those meeting the honors GPA requisite, are encouraged to meet with an honors college advisor to discuss course options, as well as your general interests and academic plans, to see how we can help you make the most of your education at Pitt.