Characteristics of a Potential Goldwater Scholar
- College sophomore or junior.
- GPA close to or above 3.9.
- Significant scientific research experience.
- Committed to pursuing a PhD in his or her field and a career in scientific research.
Now Through December 8
- Thoroughly read the Goldwater website: https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/
- Register your Goldwater application account and submit your pre-application.
- Send for Pitt transcripts (can be unofficial) and original transcripts of any college-level study outside of Pitt.
- Ask three people (in your field or related field!) for letters of recommendation. Discuss these letter writers with Judy Zang or Ian Riggins.
- IMPORTANT: as soon as they agree to write, provide them with the LOR packet described here.
YOU SHOULD GIVE LETTER WRITERS MORE THAN A MONTH’S NOTICE!! SO LINE UP LETTERS IMMEDIATELY.
- Meet with your PI or a professor in your field at least 3 times to go over your research proposal.
- Schedule and attend at least 3 advising appointments with Ian Riggins or Judy Zang to go over the rest of your application: http://www.appointmentquest.com/scheduler/2160041238
December 8 - First Campus Deadline
- Submit your complete Goldwater Application online.
- Permanent residents should provide copy of permanent residence card with intent to become a U.S. citizen.
- Faculty should E-MAIL an attachment of their LORs to Ian Riggins and Judy Zang.
- Campus committee meets to select 4 nominees.
- Campus selection committee feedback is given to nominees. Nominees continue to work on applications until final campus deadline.
January 19, 2018 - Final Campus Deadline for Nominees
March 30, 2018 - Goldwater Scholarship and Honorable Mention results announced