Characteristics of a Potential Udall Scholar
- College sophomore or junior.
- Working towards solutions to environmental challenges or issues impacting Native American nations.
- Committed to one of these areas through public service.
- Inspires and motivates others to take action.
- Committed to making a difference through civility and consensus building.
Now through February 9:
- Thoroughly read Udall Web site: http://www.udall.gov/ourprograms/scholarship/scholarship.aspx
- Notify Ian Riggins (email@example.com) with your intent to apply ASAP – HE MUST ENTER YOU IN THE UDALL ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM for you to begin your application.
- Send for Pitt transcripts (can be unofficial) and original transcripts of any college-level study outside of Pitt.
- Schedule a minimum of three advising appointments with Ian Riggins or Judy Zang to discuss drafts of your application before February 8 campus deadline.
- Begin research for essay on Morris or Stewart Udall speech, legislative act, book, or public policy statement. You can only choose one, and that should be the one that best speaks to your heart, work, thoughts, and beliefs. That doesn't mean you have to agree with it!
- Seek appropriate letter writers who can speak to your academic excellence, leadership potential, and commitment to environmental causes or Native American issues.
- Discuss your choice of letter writers with Ian or Judy ASAP.
- Get a commitment from 3 recommendation writers.
- Prepare recommendation packets (follow instructions on National Scholarships website).
- Give 3 recommendation writers a SOLID draft of your application BEFORE THEY COMPLETE THEIR LETTERS.
February 9, 2018 (first campus deadline):
- Submit your completed Udall application online.
- Permanent residents should provide copy of permanent residence card with intent to become a U.S. citizen.
- Faculty should e-mail an attachment of their LORs to Ian Riggins and Judy Zang.
- Campus committee meets to select 8 nominees.
- Campus selection committee feedback is given to nominees. Nominees continue to work on applications until final campus deadline.
March 2, 2018 (final campus deadline for nominees):
- Submit final Udall application online
April 12, 2018
- Udall Foundation e-mails notifications to all applicants
April 18, 2018
- Deadline for Udall Foundation receipt of Scholar Award Reply form
May 4, 2018
August 7-12, 2018
- Udall Scholar Orientation, Tucson, Ariz.