GATES CAMBRIDGE SCHOLARSHIP 2018 - PITT CAMPUS PROCESS
Two important notes about the Gates Cambridge:
- This award is direct apply. It does not involve a campus nomination process. However, the UHC National Scholarships office has experience with this highly competitive scholarship. We strongly recommend that seniors and recent alum take advantage of our support and work with us according to the guidelines below to help develop the most competitive application possible.
- The application for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship is part of the application for admission to your selected graduate program at Cambridge. If your Cambridge application program is due earlier than the Gates Cambridge Scholarship deadline, you must submit your Gates Cambridge application early as well.
- Research different programs at Cambridge that match your interests. Be prepared to discuss your program ideas at your first advising appointment with Judy Zang, Director of National Scholarships.
- Identify 3 recommendation writers.
- Identify your support team.
- Schedule a minimum of 3 advising appointments (via phone, Skype, or in person) with Judy or Ian Riggins throughout the summer to discuss drafts and letter of recommendation writers (get on calendar now for all appointments).
- Upload your CV or resume to your UHC Scholarship Profile (contact Shannon Mischler at email@example.com if you do not have a profile).
- Read every page on the Gates Cambridge website.
MAY TO SEPTEMBER
- Establish a connection with a key affiliate in your chosen Cambridge graduate program. This is important because the department at Cambridge has to nominate you for the award.
- Send recommendation packet to your referees no later than July 15. Include a succinct program description, points in your profile they should address, unofficial transcripts, CV, etc. (see packet details on the Tips & Advice web page). Also send your referees the UK Award Recommendation Letter Guidelines (you will receive these after you discuss your letter writers with a national scholarships advisor).
- Send for all university/college transcripts, both in the United States and abroad.
- Meet with a national scholarships advisor at least three times to review drafts of your application and essay.
OCTOBER 13 (approximately – check exact date when the 2018 application opens)
- FINAL APPLICATION DUE
- NOTE: The Gates Cambridge strongly encourages that you submit your application 2 weeks before the final deadline to be as competitive as possible. If your Cambridge graduate program application is due earlier than that, your Gates Cambridge Scholarship application is due at that time as well.
DUE 14 DAYS AFTER YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION:
- Submit supporting documents (transcripts and anything else required by your graduate program).
- Letters of recommendation are due; let your letter writers know when you submit your application and tell them the exact date their letters are due.
Director of National Scholarships, Judy Zang
National Scholarships Advisor, Ian Riggins