Udall Scholarship 2017 - Pitt Campus Process
PDF of Udall campus process.
National Scholarships Contacts:
Judy Zang, firstname.lastname@example.org, 412-624-3697
Ian Riggins, email@example.com, 412-624-3698
Characteristics of a Potential Udall Scholar
- College sophomore or junior.
- Working towards solutions to environmental challenges or issues impacting Native American nations.
- Committed to one of these areas through public service.
- Inspires and motivates others to take action.
- Committed to making a difference through civility and consensus building.
NOW THROUGH FEBRUARY 15
- Thoroughly read Udall website: http://www.udall.gov/ourprograms/scholarship/scholarship.aspx
- Notify Ian Riggins (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your intent to apply ASAP – HE MUST ENTER YOU IN THE UDALL ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM for you to begin your application.
- Send for Pitt transcripts (can be unofficial) and original transcripts of any college-level study outside of Pitt.
- Schedule a minimum of three advising appointments with Ian Riggins or Judy Zang to discuss drafts of your application before February 8 campus deadline.
- Begin research for essay on Morris or Stewart Udall speech, legislative act, book, or public policy statement. You can only choose one, and that should be the one that best speaks to your heart, work, thoughts, and beliefs. That doesn't mean you have to agree with it!
- Seek appropriate letter writers who can speak to your academic excellence, leadership potential, and commitment to environmental causes or Native American issues.
- Discuss your choice of letter writers with Ian or Judy ASAP.
- Get a commitment from 3 recommendation writers.
- Prepare recommendation packets (follow instructions on National Scholarships website): http://www.honorscollege.pitt.edu/sites/default/files/Scholarship%20Application%20Guidelines.pdf
- Give 3 recommendation writers a SOLID draft of your application BEFORE THEY COMPLETE THEIR LETTERS.
FEBRUARY 15, 2017 – FIRST CAMPUS DEADLINE
- Submit your completed Udall application online.
- Permanent residents should provide copy of permanent residence card with intent to become a U.S. citizen.
- Faculty should EMAIL an attachment of their LORs to Ian Riggins and Judy Zang, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Campus committee meets to select 8 nominees.
- Campus selection committee feedback is given to nominees. Nominees continue to work on applications until final campus deadline.
MARCH 8, 2017 – FINAL CAMPUS DEADLINE FOR NOMINEES
- Submit final application.
APRIL 12, 2017 – Udall Foundation emails notifications to all applicants
APRIL 17, 2017 – Deadline for Udall Foundation receipt of Scholar Award Reply form
MAY 1, 2017 – Scholar posting
AUGUST 8-13, 2017 – Udall Scholar Orientation, Tucson, Arizona