University Honors College (UHC) Scholarship Program
The University Honors College (UHC) Scholarship Program provides $2,000 in tuition support to approximately forty outstanding undergraduate students each year. This scholarship should be of special interest to students whose excellent work was not predicted by high school performance, to transfer students, and to students who applied too late to be considered for a scholarship upon matriculation. Minimum eligibility criteria include:
- Junior, senior or fifth-year students who have completed at least two full semesters at Pitt’s Oakland campus.
- Achievement of at least an overall 3.50 GPA at Pitt.
- No previous record of receiving merit scholarship support from Pitt’s Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.
- UHC participation and involvement.
Examples of UHC participation and involvement include but are not limited to: taking honors courses; living in honors housing; conducting research for the Bachelor of Philosophy degree; receipt of any of the fellowships offered by the Honors College; serving as a UHC Ambassador; participating in one of the UHC-sponsored book groups or student publications; receiving supplemental advising from a UHC advisor (which includes competitive national scholarship advising, pre-health professions advising, academic community engagement advising, advising for the Politics and Philosophy major, or receiving general academic advising).
In selecting UHC Scholarship awardees, the UHC Faculty Advisory Board will consider the quality of each candidate's academic work, level and quality of their UHC participation and involvement, strength of the faculty recommendation, and the extent to which the student essays reflect careful thought, are written well, and provide strong evidence in favor of scholarship support.
Please keep in mind the following:
- Students receiving UHC Scholarships must be enrolled as a full-time student at the University of Pittsburgh during the term for which the UHC Scholarship is awarded.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or provide documentation of permanent resident or refugee status. International, non-degree seeking and visiting students are not eligible.
- Addition of a UHC Scholarship to a student’s financial aid package may affect overall terms of their package (please contact the Financial Aid Office to determine any impact this award may have on your aid package).
- Applications from previous UHC Scholarship recipients are welcome, yet resources for repeat awards may be limited.
Students who want to be considered for this scholarship should include the following items in their application:
- A completed application form
- An up-to-date transcript
- An up-to-date, 1-2 page resume
- A letter of support from a faculty member (faculty members can download the standard recommendation form here)
For these purposes, a faculty member is defined as someone who has earned the terminal degree in her/his academic discipline and holds a regular full-time or part-time position at Pitt.
The student application form can be downloaded using the following link:
Completed application materials should be submitted to:
UHC Scholarship Program
University Honors College
3600 Cathedral of Learning
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
The deadline for submission of the application form for the 2016-2017 academic year is:
All application materials are due no later than 1:00 p.m. on Friday, February 3, 2017.
For any questions, please contact Karen Billingsley at (412) 624-6880 or email@example.com.