The Honors Distinction offers a lighter credit load than the Honors degree program, so you can still earn the Honors distinction as transfer student or if your major has strict requirements. The guidelines are rigorous, but flexible, so you can forge your own path.
Honors Distinction requirements:
- Curricular: 9 academic credits of Frederick Honors College approved courses
- Global or Experiential: 3 academic credits from a global or experiential activity (can include research, independent study, study abroad credits, internships, and co-ops)
- Capstone: If the Global or Experiential activity requirement is not considered a Capstone experience, you will also need to complete a separate Capstone experience. (To find courses which fulfill the Capstone requirement, go to the Class Search page in PeopleSoft and select "High Impact Practices" in the Course Attribute menu. Then, select Capstone Course in the Course Attribute Value menu).
- Outside of the Classroom: Completion of the Honors OCC (non-credit)
- Minimum GPA: 3.000
Students must declare the Honors Distinction prior to beginning their last semester of enrollment at Pitt.
Students can declare their intention to pursue the Honors Distinction after completing at least one semester at Pitt with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.000.
Students can declare their intention to pursue the Honors Distinction after completing at least one semester at Pitt with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.000. Follow these steps to declare:
1. Visit the Catalog of Opportunities website.
2. Log in to the Catalog using your University of Pittsburgh user name and password.
3. Select Catalog of Opportunities dashboard on the top left corner.
4. Search in the activities tab: Honors Distinction Declaration.
5. Complete the declaration form.