Up to $30,000 for 2-3 years of graduate study.
Applications will open in fall, but you can start working on your application now.
Characteristics of Potential Truman Scholar
- Track record of outstanding service, leadership, academic potential.
- Ability to meaningfully discuss a wide range of domestic and global events.
- Extremely competitive (typically 1 Truman Scholar per state).
- Ambitious and committed to becoming a change agent.
- A junior at time of application
Summer / Fall
- Thoroughly read Truman website, www.truman.gov.
- Notify Aidan Beatty (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your intent to apply ASAP. YOU MUST BE ENTERED INTO THE TRUMAN ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM before you can begin your application.
- Schedule a minimum of 3 advising appointments with Aidan Beatty to discuss drafts of your application before the campus deadline.
- Begin research for policy proposal.
- Find faculty mentor with expertise in area of your policy topic. Meet with faculty mentor for initial discussion; make additional appointment for later in November to go over your policy draft.
- Seek appropriate letter writers who can speak to leadership, service, and intellect.
- Discuss your choice of letter writers with Aidan ASAP.
- Get a commitment from 3 recommendation writers who can write about you in one of three capacities; See instructions and LOR forms on https://www.truman.gov/guidance-letters-recommendation/
- Prepare recommendation packets (follow instructions on scholarships website)
- Give 3 recommendation writers SOLID draft of your application BEFORE THEY COMPLETE THEIR LETTERS.
- LOR writers should send letters via email to Aidan Beatty, email@example.com, by December.
September: First Campus Deadline
- Complete application due, including 3 letters of recommendation, policy proposal, and all transcripts.
- Campus interview of candidates; selection of 4 nominees (and up to 3 additional nominations for transfer students).
- Campus selection committee feedback is given to nominees. Nominees continue to work on applications until final campus deadline.
January: Final Campus Deadline for Nominees
- Submit final application.
- Finalist confirmation due
- Finalist posting
March through early April
- Regional Review Panels
- Scholar Posting
- Truman Scholars Leadership Week